Tuesday, January 6, 2009

milestones and some resolutions...

Yes, I realize the holidays are over and I'm behind on a new layout... stay tuned. I wanted to mention some of Harper's latest milestones that have happened since the holidays so I don't forget...



- Naps... All of the sudden, she will nap! We have gotten several 2+ hour naps out of her during the day which has been great! You would think with all this extra time I'd be getting more done (see resolutions below...) but I'm not. I think I'm so grateful for her sleep I'm scared to even make a peep. We are using a "sound maker" which has been helping. All in due time.



- Head control... she's got it under control now. She also leans her head forward while reclining in your lap or in her carseat like she wishes she could sit up.



- She found her voice... and knows when she's making sounds, imagine what a whale sounds like underwater. It sounds like that. Luckily, she has yet to do it during church.



- New sleep habits... She will still go around 7-8 hours at night between feedings, BUT has started getting restless and shuffling around during her sleep which will wake her up. And this is while she is still swaddled. I've been reluctant to use the pacifier at night for fear that she'd wake when she spits it out. I started giving it to her when she wakes, and now when she wakes during the night I scramble to get the paci in her mouth. So pretty much exactly what I was trying to avoid...



- Fighting sleep... she doesn't so much do this at "bedtime", but during the day when we can tell she's ready for a nap she fights like a champ. This is what brought on the use of the pacifier on a regular basis anyway. She also uses the "whale sounds" to help keep herself awake.



- She wants to roll over very badly... and she's almost got it, except that one arm is in the way and she can't quite figure it out.



We go next week for her 4 month appointment and more shots... ugh. I haven't gotten on the scale with her in a while, I'm guessing she's around 14-15 pounds.



New Year's Resolutions- aside from the yearly resolve to be a better Christian, wife, friend, etc. here are a few more-



1. Punctuality. I'm sad to admit, that I used to be the type of person that was always on time. Since Harper has come along, things have changed a bit which is to be expected, but the one place I absolutely hate being late to is church. We try to allocate more time to getting ready before church, time to get her ready, etc. but it never fails and we get the inevitable last minute spit-up, poopy diaper, or something else that sets us back. This means we obviously aren't allocating enough time... and I could probably count on one hand the number of times we've actually been on time to church. Even if it's a minute or two, I don't like to be late and I want to work on that.



2. Organization. This covers many things. For starters, I want to get on a better cleaning schedule with the house. We haven't really had a GOOD cleaning since Harper has been here. Even if I devote one day to cleaning one room, it's progress. I seriously need to de-clutter. I also still have all my maternity clothes hanging in my closet. I got some Space Bags for Christmas and they are going in one of those. I'm also using the Space Bags to start storing the clothes Harper has outgrown and there is even a bag big enough for Pablo the huge pregnancy pillow. I also received some huggable hangers so I want to re-vamp my closet and this time really clean out all the clothes I no longer wear. I also want to do better about cooking. My trips to the grocery store have been sporadic, and we've been trying to be smart about our spending. I need to do better about buying what is on sale or what I have a coupon for.



3. Creativity. The blog design thing has been a good outlet for me. I have a few things I'd like to change about it, the name for starters, maybe getting into a .com, I don't know. I'd also like to expand into other things... sewing projects, handmade gifts, etc. I have a new embroidery machine that I'm learning to use. I'm taking a class tomorrow and am excited about what all I will be able to create. Instead of several ideas swimming around in my head, I need to write down a few to start with and just do it.



4. Health. As always, I need to eat better and exercise more. I've been lucky to drop my pregnancy weight with no problems but I'd love to lose more. I use nursing as a crutch, but the truth is that even though I need to eat enough calories for nursing, I could be eating more wholesome food. Anyone want to share healthy snack ideas?





That's all... I'll leave you with a photo.



Laura hand-embroidered this cute little onesie. I'm sad my creative friend will soon be moving further away from us!

tealesdigidesigns@gmail.com

9 blog buddies said...:

Crystal said...

I can't believe she's about to be able to turn over. :( She's growing too fast.

Kudos to your resolutions. You really look like you've lost more than your pregnancy weight. You look really good. I've gotta start eating a little better too.

P.S. Her "whale sounds" are the sweetest ever, but even cuter is how hard she strains to pull that sound out. Her squinted eyes in the process are adorable.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the milestone updates! I love the picture of her, and the onesie is adorable! Great resolutions, those are some of mine also, but I already had like a million others listed :o)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

What kind of embroidery machine did you get? I am hoping to get one after I am employed!

laura said...

thanks for sharing your new year's resolutions...i have been thinking about it, but i need to sit down and write them out. don't know if i am brave enough to post them on my blog though! thanks for the shout out!

Josh said...

good luck with the resolutions, I need to post my own. It was great seeing you and Harper today. She's growing up so fast and her sounds crack me up.

Leah said...

She's getting so big and it's fun to hear her new milestones!

Good luck on all the resolutions. I resolve not to have any! :) That way, I stick to them!!

Anonymous said...

I love being able to see her grow. She is such a joy! All of your resolutions are great and I know you can do them!

Rachel Dominguez said...

I honestly can not believe that she is 4 months old already. I am freaking out at how fast time is going lately. I still can not believe my baby is 17mo old. It is just unbelievable.

She is getting cuter and cuter by the day.

And rolling over!!! How awesome is that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin