Tuesday, September 21, 2010

flip flop fun!

We celebrated Harper's 2nd birthday with some of her best buddies at the Splash Pad this year. When our house went on the market, I wasn't sure it would have sold at this point (wishful thinking on my part) or if I'd even want to deal with having a party at our house. I'm sure that would be the day someone would actually want to drop by for a showing. So, I decided I'd call and reserve a pavilion at the Splash Pad. Harper loves it so I knew it'd be a hit. When I called (about 2 months prior to the party) there was only one time slot available for that day. Apparently they fill up quick!



The "theme" (and if you know me, you know I'm not much on themes - so we'll just leave it in quotes there) obviously revolved around splashing and water, so we called it a "flip flop fun" party. My mom smocked Harper a dress with flip flops on it just for her party. Here she is getting ready to go!

IMG_4534b

We had 2 hours ...(I allotted 30 min of that for setup) to party, clean up, and get out. So it was a quick little shin-dig but we had a good time. I knew I needed the decorations to be easy, as well as the food... so that's just what we did.

The food was basic: Chic-fil-A nuggets (one of H's favorites), chips, watermelon, and then cupcakes. I decided to make some 'beachy' cupcakes. I used white cake with vanilla icing, and then they were sprinkled with crushed vanilla wafers to resemble sand. I found a chocolate mold for the tiny flip flops and added those and a little tiki umbrella. I should have snapped a pic before they sat out in the sun, but here you go-


IMG_4643cupcakes



IMG_4573b

I think Harper played in the same spot the entire time we were there. She took a break for food and a cupcake. She was really focused on the cupcake... which is evident in this pic I tried to take of her and her best bud, Caylee-Grace.

IMG_4625b

For favors, I found some striped towels on clearance at Target (score!) and monogrammed the kids' names on them.

IMG_4549b


I think I need one for myself!

We were worn out and came home and took a long afternoon nap! I'll have another post up soon about our recent family vacation... we've been busy!

5 blog buddies said...:

Nancy Hood said...

How cute is that flip flop candy mold?! and I love the towels!!

Unknown said...

Very cute! She is just adorable with her pigtails!

laura said...

looks like fun! love the striped towels you monogramed-what a nice party favor!

Unknown said...

Absolutely adorable! You are so creative, Teale :)

Lisa said...

Oh my, what a super cute "theme!" From the tiny chocolate flip flops to the personalized beach towel favors... you are definitely one creative gal! And that smocked dress is ADORABLE, or maybe it's the pretty little girl in it that makes it so adorable!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin