I recently helped host a baby shower for my friend Erin. I had been looking online for something cute to do to help jazz it up a bit, and had looked into buying a small decorative chandelier. After realizing it would take a huge chunk o' change to purchase one, I decided to make one. I looked at some ideas online and decided to try it. These make cute decorations for showers, or even for a nursery.
I modified the instructions I used into some I felt were more user friendly, and even more inexpensive. I also created my own template design you can download for yourself. Enjoy!
Supplies needed:
- 4 sheets of white foam core* in the size you will want your chandelier. This tutorial is for one that is 18" in height. I bought 4 sheets of 20" x 30" foam core because it was cheapest. I trimmed it to the size of my template.
- 1 sheet of posterboard (only if you are NOT using my template)
- 1 utility knife with extra blades
- a ruler, or something to help you cut along a straight edge
- a cutting mat, or scrap piece of cardboard to put underneath when you are cutting
- tape
- fishing line for hanging
- glue - I used good ole Elmer's
- any embellishments you want - I bought a yard of pearl-like beads at the craft store and looped them through the bottom of the chandelier
*You can use scrap cardboard (but be prepared to paint it), or matte board (which is more expensive)
Instructions:
Decide on the design and size of your chandelier. It can be as detailed as you like. If you want to use the pattern I made, you can get it here. (if you download this template it is in letter size - have it enlarged at 175% at your local print shop to get it to the size of the one I am showing). You can also just use the letter sized template and some cardstock instead of foam core to make a small chandelier for fun... very cute.
Fold the template in half (or fold your posterboard in half if you are flying solo), make a crisp crease. Now unfold.
If you are creating your own design (NOT using my template), draw your design on HALF of the posterboard, and then cut it out.
If using my template, cut along the red lines. Remember, paper is unfolded, so you are cutting one half of the paper ONLY.
Fold the paper over on the crease you made earlier, and then trace the design onto the other side. Now cut out the other half. Bam... you are ready to go.
Tape the template to the foam core before tracing. We don't want it moving, so tape is a good thing. Just tape in a few places to keep it from moving around.
Trace your design onto the foam core. Do this 3 more times on the 3 other pieces of foam core.
Carefully begin to cut out the design. Use a cutting mat or piece of cardboard underneath so you don't ruin any floors or furniture. For the love of all that is good, go slowly and watch your fingers. You will need to apply some pressure to cut all the way through the foam core. It doesn't have to be perfect, I promise!
After you are finished cutting you will have FOUR flat chandelier pieces. Take each piece and using a straight edge, SCORE (see next pic) it in a straight line from top to bottom (SCORE = lightly run your blade through the top layer, but do NOT cut all the way through). Gently bend the piece in half into a "V" shape, or 90 degree angle. Do this 3 more times to the 3 other flat pieces.
You will now have four "V" shapes of the chandelier. Now...

a pic of the finished product:
And you're done! Mine was hung with fishing line, just loop around some of the top loops of the chandelier. You can't even see it.
Total cost = $6 (use those Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons!)
Have fun!








4 blog buddies said...:
Gorgeous!!! Love it!!!! Can't wait to try it myself :)
I just LOVE IT!! Thank you SO SO much for making that for my shower! Such a nice touch! :)
Great idea! And it turned out so cute!
I have said it before and I am sticking to it. You Rock!
Post a Comment