Harper turned 13 months old last week. We were in a bit of a frenzy preparing for the weekend's activities and our upcoming trip.
On Saturday, Harper was scheduled to receive her flu booster shot at the pediatrician's office at 7am. Chad was going to need to take her for that because I needed to be downtown at that time for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I don't know what happened, but we slept through the alarm and didn't get up until 6:30! We managed to pull it together and get Chad and Harper off to the doctor and me out the door to the race. Chad said Harper did fine with her shot. Hopefully it will keep her from getting the flu... it is really going around!
The race was rainy and muggy, but we had a good time. We had a good turnout. We celebrated with Barbara, and we made her an honorary team member for the race! I was a little worried if I'd actually make it 3 miles (walking even!) but it was fine. I figured I was seriously out of shape, but considering I do carry around 20 pounds on a regular basis... maybe that helped me out.
On Sunday we headed out for our first family vacation to Seaside, FL. We stopped on the way for church to break up the trip. Harper did great in the car. We didn't even have to stop until we were already in Florida! Even then we were only about a half an hour away.

We had a wonderful time. Seaside is a beautiful little planned community on the gulf. The streets are bricked, the cottages are so colorful and unique,with white picket fences and and full of charm. This was our first beach trip not actually saying ON the beach, but we LOVED it! The cottage we rented was three houses up from the beach so super close, but quiet and tucked away. Harper had her own bedroom and slept great. She had a BIG tub to bathe in too! We had a screened in porch with a swing that she loved to swing in. She would have no part of you holding her and swinging, she always wanted to sit all by herself like a big girl.
We rented bicycles for our trip and went riding every day. Harper wasn't too fond of her helmet at first... it was infant/toddler size but still a little big so I had to stuff it with a washcloth- much better after that! Our rides were so peaceful, we had the streets to ourselves and there was always a nice breeze. We loved exploring the little streets and pathways, and checking out all the different houses. One day we were riding and I thought Harper's helmet had fallen down in front of her face, but she was slumped over asleep! I tried to get a picture but she woke up ready to go again. It was hilarious!
Harper loved the waves and sand. When we headed down to the beach she would kick her legs and get so excited! I was surprised that not once did she try to eat the sand or put it on her head or anything... she was so dainty with it. I would fill up her little bucket with sand and she would scoop it out in handfuls. There was a little spot on the shore where the waves came in, and then pooled into a spot about 6 inches deep. She loved sitting in that spot and digging her toes in the soft sand.
At Kids Market, I purchased a Snugli (baby carrier for your back) for $2 thinking it would work for the trip. {Side note- I have a baby carrier addiction. I own 5 of them... thankfully never paid full price. I'm always on the lookout for a good one} Anyway, the $2 Snugli was a great purchase because it was perfect for this trip! Chad carried her a lot on his back and she loved it. It was so handy.
We ate lots of yummy food (probably too much-diets in our future!), and thoroughly enjoyed our family time together. Harper threw in a surprise of her own and decided to wean on the trip. I figured it was coming, as our nursing sessions were down to once or twice per day and just a few minutes. I'm glad it was on her terms. That's what I was wanting. I'm so happy to have met my goal to nurse Harper at least a year, and as long as it was mutually beneficial thereafter, and going straight to whole milk in a cup without having to use formula inbetween. With us being on vacation I don't think it gave me much time to be sad about it either. My baby is growing up! :)
Unfortunately my digital camera battery died after the first day, so most of these pictures were taken with my phone. Still got some good ones I think.






4 blog buddies said...:
Glad ya'll had a fun trip and she liked the beach. I know it is sad to not nurse anymore. Going for over a year was awesome. I'm going to be sad myself in a few weeks.
I kept thinking 'oh, that's a great one' 'no, that pics even better' and finally gave up :) But I really think I like number 17 as one of the favs! Glad you had this time together!!
I'm so glad y'all had a good time! Looks like fun :o)
I can't wait to get home and see all the pictures. I bet she was a hoot in the sand.
Post a Comment