Saturday, September 20, 2008

"sleep when the baby sleeps"

We've all heard this advice. Except I don't think this counts... this is how we get sleep on Harper's terms.


We still have yet to get her to successfully sleep in a crib, bassinet, pack n' play, etc. Thankfully, Chad has been off work this week and we've been trading shifts at night. He goes back on Monday so things will get a bit more difficult but we'll work it out. Dealing with less sleep has gotten easier and has become the new normal for us.

Harper likes:
- sleeping ON people (obviously)
- being able to stretch out her arms/legs (not so fond of the swaddle)
- the second half of her bath (the first half she cries)
- being rocked, and patted...and rocked, and patted
- peeking at you with one eye
- eating and eating and eating... sometimes with maybe a 30 min. break inbetween for me
- being taken outside
- riding in the car

We head back to the pediatrician this week for another weight check. We're hoping she has gained back up to her birthweight by now. I can already tell she is changing, so we'll see if that includes putting some meat on those bones!



teale's digi-designs

16 blog buddies said...:

Josh said...

Hey Teale! She is the cutest baby. I have wanted to call but thought it best to let yall get adjusted before I called to bug you. Amanda and I can't wait to come up and visit. Take care

Nancy Hood said...

Jenny slept on someone's chest/abdomen her whole first week :) and then would sleep great as long as she was in her swing. I found out early on how to veerryyy quietly rewind that contraption in order to lengthen that sleep time without waking her up ;)

Shelly said...

i think i slept in the recliner with w for a week! this too shall pass. love you guys.

Sydney & Bayley's Proud Mommy said...

I can sooo sympathize with the lack of sleep blues. Bayley is 15 months and only 9 days of that time has she slept all night. Bay slept in her bassinett until almost 10 months which made it easier but now we like to say she naps in her bed then comes and sleeps with us! Sydney reminds us all the time that we never allowed her to sleep with us. lol We have done stuff this time around that we NEVER would have before. You just do whatever you need to and what feels right. She is just precious!

Unknown said...

I have SO many pictures like this of Ian & Brandon.

Have you checked out the book Baby Wise? We didn't start it until Ian was a couple of months old, but it worked wonders!

Randal, Belinda and Caylee-Grace said...

I love the pictures. She is so precious. I can't wait to see her again. I'm loving all this - now I know what to expect in a few weeks at the Chappell house.

Anonymous said...

cute, cute, cute!!!! Congratulations, guys. I know she is a blessing.

Leah said...

Carson was a chest sleeper! I think they just get used to us holding them! (We didn't put him down...I regretting it later!) He ended up sleeping with us for almost 3 years! Good luck! I have NO advice when it comes to sleeping habits!!

She's just precious!!

Crystal said...

I'm loving the little ladybug age counter. =)

Those pictures are precious. She is a precious baby and I'm super glad her riding in a car is a positive. I'll see you guys tomorrow night. Give her kisses for me.

Anonymous said...

those pics are hilarious. she is def a cuddler!

Kristy said...

These pics are precious, cherish it while you can. One thing that helped me get some naptime was a swing. (I had the ocean's aquarium cradle swing) She loved it and it let me rest while she rested. Of course, that was only during the day. We walked her around until she fell asleep in our arms and then put her in her bed after that. We did that for...a while. Now she'll have nothing to do with us before bed except reading, singing, and praying time. She loves that but won't be held!

Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

Kim said...

I have always said the most peaceful sleep is the kind you get with a baby on your chest. I still get sleepy when Blake passes out on me at church. Just eat her up and enjoy every minute of it!

Kim said...

Have you read this? It was on Lazy Organizer's site... (((HUGS)))
http://www.lazyorganizer.com/blog/?p=820

christy said...

She is just adorable. I ave pics of Barry asleep in the recliner with ME. She was a rock to sleep baby and had to be laid down with until she was 4 or 5 and now she still gets in our bed most nights at almost 9. Enjoy it, there will come a time when they won't want anything to do with you guys, sad thought. Cherrish it nw for as long as it lasts. Also I still get sleepy when one of mine if in my lap and we are all still and quiet, which isn't often. The swing was also a life saver for us. Sleep when she does and it will all go well. If you need anything call me I am at home during the days.

Rachel said...

I know you have nothing better to do than play with your blog, but when are you going to change your header and include Harper?

Rachel Dominguez said...

She is absolutely beautiful.

It DOES get better....or else i'd never have done it 4 times.

They love to snuggle with the parents cuz they can hear our heart beats. Let her do it! She is only this little one time. And it is all worth it ?right?

My darling girl sleeps in her crib most every night...but I try so hard on occasion to get her to sleep on me so that I can just watch her ever facial expression and movement. She is 14 mo old now. They are all just true Miracles!

Keep up the good work. You're doing great and she looks so sweet.

Rachel

Blog Widget by LinkWithin